What You Need To Know To Transform Your IKEA Furniture With Chalk Paint
How To Chalk Paint This Cabinet:
- Clean the cabinet to remove any dirt or oils.
- Use a brush or roller to cover the surface thoroughly and wait until it is dry. It should take about 20 minutes. Use a light coat.
- Repeat step # 2 until the surface is completely covered. For my dark IKEA cabinet I needed to use 4 coats.
- Using a wax brush cover the surface with wax sealer. Make sure that you coat it completely. That’s why using a brush especially designed for waxing is very helpful.
- Give the sealer a good 15 to 20 minutes to dry. Then go over the surface with a piece of cloth that and wipe off the residue. I did 2 coats for good measure.
This IKEA cabinet is perfect for what I need to store away. But the dark color simply did not work for me. I wanted it in white, of course :-). You can’t use basic latex paint because this cabinet is made of some sort of plastic. Once the paint dries it will peel right off, like when you burn your skin at the beach. I tried it, just so that I could tell you from personal experience. I used chalk paint with a brush. It probably would have gone faster with a roller, but I had a brush handy. When I chalk paint the armoire I will use a roller because that piece of much taller.
The chalk paint that I’m using for my house painting project is Renaissance Furniture Paint. It is eco-friendly and non-toxic. This is especially important to me because I am painting my furniture indoors.
The sealer that I decided to use is Mixwax Paste Finishing Wax. It is a matte finish that works FANTASTIC!
If you enjoyed what you saw here leave me a comment. Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for updates, more ideas and inspiration. Continue reading “How To Paint Your IKEA furniture with Chalk Paint”